Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Spring is finally here (even though it is snowing while I type this) and the striper run is just around the corner.

I recently spent a week in Sarasota Florida to break up my winter doldrums. Fishing was excellent to say the least. I hit all of my old spots from the beaches to the mangrove-lined intercoastal and Sarasota Bay Flats. I caught a healthy mix of bluefish, jack, and spotted sea trout, and battled a few nice snook and redfish.


Heres a nice little trout with a big heart ... and a giant zara spook breakfast.




After spending countless hours on the water in the 5-odd years I lived there, I still feel like there's a big part of me that I left behind stalking the flats and bays (I sometimes wonder if we can switch places and that "other" part can shovel some snow and take out the garbage).

My trip wasn't all fishing though, as I also stopped by to see some old coworkers at the St. Petersburg Times, and visited a few illustration classes at Ringling College of Art and Design. (thats a whole other post entirely)


In other fishing related news, check out this month's issue of Field & Stream. I did a few pieces for the cover story "Fishings Cutting Edge" with the talented FS staff. This is a great issue overall as always.


Good luck to everyone this season, and hopefully I'll see you on the water soon.




No comments: